I.D Artisan has been drawing and MCing since a young kid. You may have seen some of his individual tributes he did to Big L, Big Pun, Easy E and a portrait of MCMI’s very own PH.
Well, now I.D Artisan has channelled his passion for drawing and Hip Hop and created a Comic which features main characters who are MC’s trying to maintain their record deals, survive against all odds and ward off an evil villain. It’s called “9th Illy” and is loosely based on the MC’s own life and experiences in the rap game.
GMS asked I.D about how he came up with all of this and what the comic is all about.
1. Create a 60 second or less video blog, showing and explaining your existing tattoos. (Can send pics and email explanation if not able to make video).
2. Explain in the video what you want your next tattoo to be – what you would get inked live at the show if you win the contest.
3. The judges and tattoo artist are looking for a complex, artistic design that will be interesting to do and awesome to look at. Super simple designs wont be considered.
4. Upload your video to sendspace.com and send us a link to download it, to INK@MCMIreport.com
5. By submitting the video and entering the contest you grant us the right to post your video on our website and other places in promotion of the show, song “Pretty In Ink” and Puncture Tattoo & Piercing.
6. Include your full name and phone # to contact you, in the email with the video link.
7. Must be 19 & over to participate in the contest and to be at the performance.
The winner will receive free tattoo work, live @ Southpaw during PH’s Album Release Show. Runner ups will have the opportunity to appear onstage during PH’s performance of the song “Pretty In Ink” and may be cast for the music video for said song, to be filmed partly at the event and partly at a later date.
* Any women with tattoos who would like to participate at the event, and be considered for casting for the video for “Pretty In Ink” (MCMI Records), but are not interested in getting the tattoo at the event, may still come to the event and build with us further.
In the first installment of Grime’s series we hear from tattoo luminaries, Civ and Chris O’Donnell, as they try to put in perspective how revered and unique Grime’s style is. We meet the other tattooers at Grime’s shop, Skull and Sword, and learn how they too, strive to be constantly evolving in their tattooing.
This song has mad heart. We’ve all been there, made mistakes, realized we kinda screwed up. But at the same time, live and learn, what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger.Â Sounds like ya boy Nems is growing up. 24 years old with wisdom beyond that. A lot of people don’t reach thatÂ self-analysis stage until they are 34, or 44 or .. never.
Third verse is my favorite:
“Def Jam wanted to sign us, SHADY wanted my story,
But my reputation entered the room right before me,
True story, the drugs had me empty,
When I’m focused though, no man can stand against me,
But the Devil had me fooled, thinkin that I need something to perform,
When I don’t need NUTHIN’ to get on,
Ecstasy diet was the quiet before the storm,
Pocket fulla drugs required to do a song…
I did it all night long and slept the day away,
Woke up when it was dark out and couldn’t stay awake
I had to change, couldn’t take it any longer,
It didn’t kill me, so I guess it made me stronger”
The beginning is a freestyle a capela. The actual song starts at 0:56. Video edited & directed by: H.VIEW. Not sure who did the beat or who’s singing, but its dope and really sets the mood for what Nems is building on.